Looking at all the stuff lying all over the staging deck surface, I realized I needed a cart for all those tools and supplies and what not. After checking the prices, I decided I wasn’t going to pay from $150 and up to $500 for a molded/extruded piece of recycled plastic on 4 rubber wheels. So, I set on to build me a utility cart of materials at hand (I had to buy the wheels though).
Category: Model Railroading
The day wasn’t spent in Shipping/Receiving parcels, as the previous post might make it look like. No Sir, actually real work has been done on the railroad. Crews have been busy drilling the sub/road bed and fitting turnouts and motors. Finally, we are “doing trains” !!
It feels like it’s Christmas (or whatever holiday you celebrate)…oh wait it is. Well hooray then, let more goodies come pouring (down?). Total of 3 packages came in today and it felt like I worked in Shipping/Receiving dept (it didn’t really). I was looking outside the window every 5 minutes, anxiously waiting for one delivery or another.
Via what has now become a “legendary” parcel delivery, because Fedex held onto it for 2 weeks at their local depot 20 km away. Idiots! I wish people would open their eyes and stop using CrapEx and OOPS, clearly sending them a message about their abhorrent service they provide to normal people (you, me, everyone else who’s not a big corporation).
Despite Canada Post rolling strikes, I still got postal parcels delivered ahead of these courier services. Huge praises to Canada Post…we must never allow it to be privatized.
…or “Making a Mess”. It was bound to happen after spinning in circles for a day, trying to figure out whether I’ve missed something glaringly obvious or not. I wasn’t ready to commit cork to the helix sub-roadbed yesterday, so today I bit the bullet. Truth be told, I did re-adjust 3 spots on the threaded rods last night where the height did not match the calculations, but that was only a matter of adding or removing a 1/32″ washer. There’s no going back now.
After several weeks of waiting I’ve finally gathered the tools and supplies needed to build turnouts on the staging deck. In my haste to get everything ordered and sorted out, I wasn’t thinking about rail sizes. My entire staging deck is Code 100, while the rest of the railroad will be Code 70 and Code 83. Well, I ordered things thinking that everything will fit, thus forgetting that the foot of the rail in Code 100 is wider. Meh, it doesn’t fit the Frog Helper or the Stock Aid tools I bought (which are for Code 70/83).
I knew I needed a way to cut 80+ spacers for the upper helix loops, and I definitely did not want to use a simple blade knife. All of these spacers need to be exactly the same length (height) in order the maintain the grade across the entire helix so some amount of precision is needed. Thus I spent the day fabricating my own chopper block. I ended up buying a PEX/Tubing cutter blade and then finding a way to mount it on a sturdy handle that won’t deform from pressure.