Tag: Newbridge & Lockport RR

Leave a reply

Revenge of the Benchwork

I was on my way to start mounting the threaded rods and building up the first loop of the helix, thinking I’m finally going to get a breakthrough. Not…so…fast. Even the best laid plans can bite you back in the ass when you are not paying attention.

(more…)


Leave a reply

The Helix, part 1 of many?

A number of people had suggested I start with the helix because there’s no moving it, if things need to line up with the rest of the yards, as opposed to moving a few yard throat turnouts inch here or there. So I heeded that advice and we are on our way towards building the helix.

(more…)


Leave a reply

Are We Ready For Track Yet?

After painting the cork, what more is there left to do on the roadbed? It feels like all these mundane things you do inch you towards a milestone, and when it finally arrives you don’t really feel it, or you keep asking yourself: “Is there anything else left?” Left before starting the track work that is.

(more…)


Leave a reply

Cork is Down

Moving at a snails pace, or more precisely at the pace the caulk dries, I finally completed laying the cork sheets down across the entire Staging deck. This took about a week, as I worked in stages, couple of hours each day after work, and letting it dry overnight.

(more…)


Leave a reply

Fiddling with the Peninsula

Yesterday I went and got some 24″x36″ cork sheets for the entire staging deck and thought I would be spending the weekend laying them down, but other things came up…Sometime ago I realized I should’ve kept the lower deck open on the peninsula – there’s really no good reason to have a backdrop there. So, before securing the top surface on the peninsula, I decided to remove a 8″ tall strip of backdrop hardboard, up to the uprights.

(more…)


Leave a reply

Staging Subroadbed Completed

It was a long way to here. In retrospect, have I known that it would’ve been this much work, I might have opted for some other hobby. Bah, who am I kidding…

(more…)


Leave a reply

Fitting The Top Surface

Sunday came and I thought I would be able to move onto putting plywood up right away. As expected, other things had to be done first, namely installation of 4 additional cross braces on the newly finished portion of the metal benchwork. That took the whole morning till noon to complete, despite opting to use wood instead of metal for the braces (metal would’ve taken longer to fabricate). Either way, better part of the afternoon was spent fitting plywood surface on, and it was a gruelling task.

(more…)